John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:29 pm 

Hi guys,

I'm a lucky chap, because the wife has approved me having a room in our new house for my video editing business. I'm not so lucky, because the room is not exactly built to sound studio spec, being oblong and with a sloping ceiling.

I want to make the best of a not-so-good situation, and see if i can make the room sound, if not good, then at least acceptable, for mixing audio for video.

The room is newly built with about 4 inches of isolation on the long walls, no isolation on end walls as they're contrete seperating our house from the neighbours. All walls covered in a double layer of standard drywall. Floor is hardwood.

Size-wise, were talking a room thats 366 cm (I'm European, so pardon my unit :) ) by 245 cm, with 255 cm to the ceiling in the wide side of the room. To make things a bit more exciting, there is a weird little out-dent in the end of the room, where i plan to store my gear.

Setup-wise i have a couple of Yamaha HS-80m monitors, and a 27" Cinemadisplay. On the wall i plan to mount a 32" TV for monitoring when editing. The missus has required us to have a sofa bed in there as well (which will double as seating for clients), so the layout options are pretty limited.

Now to the business. I plan to install bass traps of some sort in the corners, and some diffusers on the end walls. I'm well aware that the sloping ceiling will mess everything up, but thats what i have to work with.

Should i focus on getting the monitors further away from the wall, or will a couple of bass traps behind them make up for the poor positioning? I would love not to have to move the table further back into the room, as the space is limited as it is.

Sketchup model can be found here, and thanks in advance!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

with such a steeply sloped ceiling, I think you have no choice but to turn the layout 90° clockwise: I seriously doubt that you'd ever be able to get a usable stereo image or sound stage with the current layout, due to the huge assymetry.

I'd put the desk and speakers up against the wall opposite the door (the low wall) so that the ceiling slopes up from the speakers, then treat the hell out of the wall behind you. I'd also put a heavy solid door on that "kink" storage closet, to help a bit with room symmetry.

That room is never going to sound good, due to the weird shape and tiny size, but it can certainly be improved, and perhaps made usable to some extent.

At least, that would be my approach. Others may have different ideas...

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:52 am 

I have a a room in my house similar to this one but the ceiling is not as sloped and its maybe double the size of this one, would the stereo image be as influenced by being asymmetrical like this? Would it sound better or worse?

Report this post