John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:41 am 

Excellent, thank you.

Guitars are recorded direct via Axe-FX III.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:48 am 

I'm a noob to this forum, so I apologize for any obvious questions. I've looked around a decent amount, but still had a question about this:

Soundman2020 wrote:
Quote:
might be with a full-range monitor placed on the floor in a corner, and the opposite ceiling corner being used for the measurement mic, as this will provide some extra gain from boundary proximity, and also verify the room modes fairly well.
I often do that in live rooms and booths, yes, because there's no fixed positions for the sound source and receiver (ear, mic) in a live room. That does give you a pretty good feeling for how the low end is behaving, especially modes. But I don't usually do that in a control room, since it isn't going to tell me much that I didn't already know from the "standard" test, and also because in a control room, there's a very precise fixed location for both the source (speakers) and receiver (listening position). Since the entire purpose of a control room is based around the listening position(s), that's what I'm most interested in: the room response at the listening position. For a control room, I might do another series of tests that I call the "walking mic" test (which I'll post a description of at some point soon), as that tells me a lot more about the SBIR issues and the modal issues, as well as about possible changes in the mix position, but I don't see much of a need to do the "diagonal corners" test that you describe: That's really useful in live rooms, but not very much in a a control room. (There's one exception, which has to do with very high precision room tuning, but I won't be going into that here, as it's not even applicable to most home studios).

Quote:
Thanks again for your efforts, and looking forward to future posts regarding this topic.
:thu:

- Stuart -

Is there a good tutorial on measuring live rooms specifically, similar to this one? Or would the opposite corners strategy be the only difference in testing compared to this? I'm really curious since I'm wondering if you would need to test a variety of speakers considering different speakers I'd expect would have a different frequency response, and when recording you would be using a variety of them in a live room depending on the application, right?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:09 am 

Preparing to run my first analysis and I'm stuck on the soundcard calibration section. Yep, the very beginning.

I have a Blue Sky Pro Desk 2.1 monitor system and I am not sure if I have everything set "flat" as the instructions indicate.
The sub-woofer does have "Variable Cutoff Frequency" controls and I'm not sure if that is applicable or not.

Also a little confused with the instructions for setting up my multi-channel output. I'm on a Mac OS X.

[url]http://abluesky.com/products/prodesk-2-1//url]

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:52 am 

Attempting to proceed and having a problem with the input signal when calibrating my sound card.
It will not show an input signal if I set the sample rate to 48kHz. Everything is set to 48 on my interface, etc.

If set to 44.1 I do get an input signal.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:37 am 

Well, I finally got an input signal at 48k but the measuring results may not look to good. Not sure how to correct this.

Attachment:
REW Capture 1.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:03 am 

When I have my interface monitoring set to mono, I get better results. Not sure if this should be done though.

Attachment:
REW Capture 3.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:53 am 

Quote:
Well, I finally got an input signal at 48k but the measuring results may not look to good. Not sure how to correct this
You have a feedback loop in your system somewhere. Probably you have monitoring engaged and feeding back into the inputs, or some such.

Also, please move all of your posts about this to your own personal thread, instead of having them here on this thread, which is about using REW in general, not specific individual cases.

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:44 pm 

Soundman2020 wrote:
Quote:
Well, I finally got an input signal at 48k but the measuring results may not look to good. Not sure how to correct this
You have a feedback loop in your system somewhere. Probably you have monitoring engaged and feeding back into the inputs, or some such.

Also, please move all of your posts about this to your own personal thread, instead of having them here on this thread, which is about using REW in general, not specific individual cases.

- Stuart -

Thank you Stuart. I have created a separate thread for this. I'm not able to delete my posts here. Do I need to send a request to have them deleted?

Report this post

Post subject: Extech 407730
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:38 am 

So can the Extech 407730 be used for calibration given its limited frequency response?

This is the handheld meter I ended up purchasing, so just checking if I should return it and opt for another?

Thanks

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:49 am 

Quote:
So can the Extech 407730 be used for calibration given its limited frequency response?

Why do you figure it has a limited frequency response? It has slow and C weighting settings and that's all you need it to do. It should work fine.

Greg

Report this post