John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Drum Room Treatment
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:47 am 

Ok, well first off I just want to say hello, being this is my first post/topic.

I am making a drum room out of my old bedroom in my basement, and need some advise on how to acoustically treat it. Where to put diffusers/bass traps/etc.

Room Dimensions:
Height 6 and 1/2 feet
Length 13 feet
Width 10 feet
I have pics attached.

The walls are your typical walls with fiberglass insulation. Carpet floor. The ceiling is that cottage cheese like paneling. There is an open closet cut out of one of the walls (pic attached). I am not sure what to use to treat the room. I was going to build everything myself to save money, and hopefully get a better result than buying some overpriced stuff. I am not wanting to spend more than $300. Is sheet batting (that stuff for stuffing quilts or couches) a good thing to use? I have a ton of it and I did that "breath test" on it and you can breath through it. I am new at this (obviously), and just wondered what others have done and what is a cost effective way to build a drum room out of an already existing room. Are diffusers hard to make? Any links on how to build diffusers? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:21 am 

Those look like 2x2 foot drop ceiling tiles, set into a metal grid; first thing I'd do is lift one up out of the grid - if it's not full of insulation above, I'd fill it with unfaced fiberglass to improve bass trapping.

The carpet will suck out mids and some highs, and your space is already tight; so I'd look for some 3 to 5 PCF rockwool or fiberglass batts (Fibrex, Owens Corning, Johns Manville, Roxul, etc) and build some frames to hold them diagonally across most of your wall/ceiling corners, cover them with cloth and treat the cloth for fire resistance

One source if you can't find it locally -

http://www.natfire.com/

Diffusion isn't the best way to go for a small room, but if it's too dead after the above treatment and you can't remove the carpet, you may want to build at least one of John's corner absorbers (slat resonator) centered on 300 hZ

http://www.johnlsayers.com/HR/index1.htm

Some updates on construction/insulation positioning -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=4421

And an excel calculator for slat resonator -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1363

For CORNER units, use the AVERAGE depth in the calculator; kick drum's primary modal frequency is around 300 hZ, that's why this is a good center target frequency for a drum room. It will take at least two corners done this way to hear much difference.

HTH... Steve

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:55 am 

Thanks for the info! I am going to start on this right away!
I have another question for you. What would be the best way to mount these panels on the wall and corners? They will probably be moved later on down the road, so someway thats not so permanent. Thanks

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:09 am 

If you're talking about vertical corners, you can just stand them up in the corner - especially the slat ones, which will have a solid back and sides. For wall mounting of absorbent traps, if they're 2x4 feet and framed with 1x4 wood, the total trap with 3 PCF absorbent 4" thick will only weigh about 16-18 pounds, so they can be hung with heavy rated picture hangers, or small metal angle brackets and plastic wall anchors.

For wall-to-ceiling corner absorbers, the frames can be fastened with tie wires to the ceiling grid and to the wall with the plastic wall anchors. Normally you'd want something less visible but you said "temporary" - and this will work. Again, these should be light enough that heavy picture hanging kits will hold them... Steve

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:51 am 

Thanks a bunch man! You kick ass! 8)

Report this post