John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:07 am 

Would anyone care to comment on what effect, if any, this room would sound like with the collar ties exposed, for mixing and for tracking? The collar ties are 8 feet high.

I would like to use the room for both. I would like to sheetrock the ceiling and the walls up to the ridge of the roof.

Would I have to treat different areas of the room differently for mixing or tracking. Or would it be better to separate the room for these tasks.

much appreciated,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:00 am 

Saw your other post with same pix but was pushed for time (as usual) - the room would be very live, NOT very isolated, possibly some specular reflections from open framing, and (without any absorption between framing) it would have some very nasty reflections that would need to be tamed - because of the wierd shapes, the only way to know for sure is to use something like ETF and run several tests... Steve

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:39 am 

I was waiting for you to show up. Much appreciated.

Would it be constructive to run some tests in it's present condition? And am I correct in assuming it would be tough to mix in this room, even with treatment, or is it a possiblility in your experience. Also, what about the possibilityof separating the room for mixing?

I do have a full basement that has 9 foot ceilings for most of it, except where the a/c ducting is going to go. I kind of wanted to get out of the basement as I have spent so much of my life in one, recording, rehearsing, and working in one (heating business) etc.

Anybody else, feel free to chime in. I would love to hear anybody's comments.

Report this post