John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:38 am 

My studio is still in the planning/design stage but there's a slight problem, and that is the boat.

My Father rebuilt it with my neighbour last year but he sadly died early this year.
My Dad would love to keep the boat and for that to happen it'd need to fit in the studio somewhere.

We talked of turning it into a desk or sofa but I thought, "If we hung it from the pitched roof in the live room, how would it affect the acoustics?"

Basically, that is my question to you. The dimensions of said boat are roughly 11' by 4' and a couple of feet deep.

Can I stick it up there or will it have to go?

Thanks in advance.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:57 am 

If you could mount it bottom out (so that you see the hull bottom rather than the interior/cockpit) then it might act as a poly diffuser.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:10 am 

Speedskater wrote:
If you could mount it bottom out (so that you see the hull bottom rather than the interior/cockpit) then it might act as a poly diffuser.

Assuming the structure can support it....

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:17 am 

Speedskater wrote:

That was what I had in mind for it.

xSpace wrote:
Assuming the structure can support it....

The roof will take the weight of it.

As long as it isn't going to fault the sound in anyway then I think we'll be alright.
Thanks to both of you.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:56 pm 

I didn't give anything of value accept to suggest that the roof structure may or may not handle it.

I love what you are doing but I do have reservations.

First one being that you say the roof can handle it. How would you know this...when we do not have pictures to see, you were asking for help and I think you still require it. Weight at the peak of a roof structure pushes directly to the walls and causes spreading.

Second would be that not only is there not an upside there are a few downsides.

A poly diffisurer may have a good place, but do you remember how far away it is from your ears? I don't because I do not recall you saying.

And that is where the acoustical issues can begin.

"As long as it isn't going to fault the sound in anyway then I think we'll be alright."

It is going to change the way sound moves around in this room. One thing that might be a consideration is to install insulation into the cavity of this boat IF you are bent on placing it overhead.

I wouldn't have the boat over my head, only because I see no value acoustically from this action.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:13 pm 

Why dont you put it in the lobby or main hall? It can be a very cool decorative object
Or maybe in your 6 meter live room ceiling could fit... oh wait. you didnt give us any information of your space.
do you even have a lobby?

Read the stickies first

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:35 pm 

The roof structure should support a small boat like this. Some of my friends hang larger sailboats than this (up to over 16 feet) from their garage roofs over their cars.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:28 pm 

Speedskater wrote:
The roof structure should support a small boat like this. Some of my friends hang larger sailboats than this (up to over 16 feet) from their garage roofs over their cars.

See...this is the kind of statement that makes me revert to the ill person that I can sometimes be :)

You cannot say....with any authority....that the UNKNOWN roof structure can support, hell, even the roof!

Further you cannot continue to suggest that because you have seen it done, with NO description of the engineering of the structure that is supporting said boat, that another person can do this simple because you have seen it done.

Granted you are in the US[speedskater] and the OP is in the UK so there is already a difference in the building materials, principles and specific engineering.

What is the weight of this boat and how is the structure designed will be the determining factors in any country.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:57 am 

We must have different ideas of what a small boat is. My 110 pound wife and I would sometimes carry our 16 foot sailboat from the trailer to the water. Any roof or ceiling that cannot support an additional 50 to 200 pound load is suspect.
People sometimes put 16 foot boats on the roof of small cars.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:05 pm 

Speedskater wrote:
Any roof or ceiling that cannot support an additional 50 to 200 pound load is suspect.
People sometimes put 16 foot boats on the roof of small cars.

The thing that works here Speedskater...is duration. In the first one the duration, or passing of time, the additional weight will warp over a period of time, the longer time frame of the two.

The second with a car is a small period of time that does not allow gravity into the equation specifically...but hit a pot hole and the effects are the same...expedited.

The first one is my concern. The additional load, as a deadload, can and will transform the structure.

Can the OP hang this boat? Maybe yes...but I am not going to make that assessment as easily as you will based on seeing a boat hanging over your head in someones garage :)

A small boat has no interest in my thinking. How much weight does it have...that is important. How is the structure built...that is more important.

I appreciate that people can hang boats over their head and nothing seems to come of it directly, but you know as well as I do...people keep adding weight to the builds thay are trying to produce.

And that is what I call" xspace".

It is unknown and we have not been given enough information about it to make any type of call that we would feel comfortable with if a court date were to arise out of this.

Brien

Report this post