John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:05 pm 

Quote:
I have council approval to build and we are finalizing the detailed architectural plans now.
Cool! That's actually a pretty big milestone. Congrats!

And that photo of the land looks pretty neat too. It seems you have space for a studio covering several thousand square feet there! :) :thu:

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:37 pm 

This is gorgeous!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:45 pm 

Quick update and a question.

ANOTHER 9 months has passed by. In that time I parted ways with my original architect and went back to the drawing board. The original designs were getting extremely expensive and we struggled to find a builder who could take on the job.

Since then everything has been flowing nicely. New designs are complete, council approved and I have a great builder ready to roll. Whew, what a journey!

My main composing room will be will about 45 square metres and will have 12 square metres of windows to take in the outside views. As previously discussed these will be made from 2 fully decoupled frames.

My question...
Do the small gaps between window frames need to be sealed with a vapour barrier after the addition of a desiccant? Obviously the whole building will be wrapped, but do the windows themselves need anything to prevent moisture from migrating from the wall cavity into the space between the window panes? i.e. should a vapour barrier be used in place of the plain fabric shown in the photo below?
I’m particularly concerned about moisture in my area. It’s a cool climate and we are frequently shrouded in low clouds with humidity over 95%.
Attachment:
6A171DDC-1029-4FF6-8EAD-6F84B18FCC37.jpeg

If there is anything special we should do to help prevent fogging and/or moisture accumulation inside the windows, please let me know. Thank you again.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:43 pm 

Glad to hear that this is still moving!

Quote:
My question...
Do the small gaps between window frames need to be sealed with a vapour barrier after the addition of a desiccant?
That should not be necessary. Think of it this way: once the fully-decoupled walls are complete, there is no air movement inside the wall at all. Air only moves if you have a pressure differential (higher pressure in one place than another), and considering that both of your leaves are massive and completely sealed, there just isn't any such pressure differential. Hence, no air moves. It just stays there. You also have huge mountains of insulation inside the wall, which tends to block air movement even if there was a pressure difference. So the air that is in there after you seal up the final piece of the wall, is the air that will be there forever. You will place desiccant in a the window cavity, sufficient to scavenge any moisture that might be trapped in there, and that will prevent any fogging, misting, or condensation on the glass.

Quote:
Obviously the whole building will be wrapped, but do the windows themselves need anything to prevent moisture from migrating from the wall cavity into the space between the window panes?
If you build it all correctly, with the water barrier, air barrier, and vapor barrier in the correct locations, then there won't be any problem.

Quote:
I’m particularly concerned about moisture in my area. It’s a cool climate and we are frequently shrouded in low clouds with humidity over 95%.
You'd have to check your local authorities, but with that situation I would imagine that the vapor barrier (if needed) will go up against the inner-leaf of your wall (inside the cavity), since that will be the warmest surface.

A couple of other things that you should take into account here:

1) For high-humidity climates, the latent heat load in the air will be substantially higher than it would be in a drier climate, and since the HVAC AHU cannot actually start cooling the air (sensible heat load) until it has dealt with the latent heat load, you will need to take that into account when sizing your HVAC system: you will need higher cooling capacity than would otherwise seem necessary. HVAC is a hugs part o studio design, and getting it right is not easy: especially for the first-time studio builder. If your new architect does not have any experience with HVAC specifically FOR RECORDING STUDIOS, then he has a steep learning curve ahead of him... It is very different from normal HVAC for a typical house, office, shop, school, etc. Not the same. If you don't get your HVAC correct for a studio (!), then you do, indeed, run the risk of having condensation form where you don't want it, and also having a studio where the rooms are uncomfortable to work in....

2) All your glass should be laminated glass, and the interlayer should be proper acoustic PVB, not the ordinary, thinner PVB that is commonly used in laminated glass. Your architect might not be aware of that, so it's worth mentioning.

Quote:
If there is anything special we should do to help prevent fogging and/or moisture accumulation inside the windows, please let me know. Thank you again.
Mostly, just make sure you use the correct amount of the desiccant that you choose, and that you prepare it correctly right before placing it in the cavity, then put the glass in immediately. Don't leave the desiccant laying around in the open air for more than a few hours with that high humidity, or it will already have adsorbed part of its capacity before you even get it into the window cavity!

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:48 pm 

You da man Stuart.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:18 pm 

After 2 years of planning... ground has officially been broken. More to follow.
Attachment:
D63B2AB4-8534-4B36-95E1-14F4D44033D4.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by chrispire on Sun May 05, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:10 am 

Now THAT's a great sight to see! :thu:

Congratulations!

Care to post your final design details?

And keep those pictures flowing! Lots of folks here love to see progress in studio builds... Including me!

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:30 pm 

Quick stats:
Overall size = 93 square metres.
Only the composition room will be soundproofed. It’s area is 46m2 and volume is 130m3.
The roof is nearly flat (no ceiling cavity) so all ventilation ducting and silencer boxes will be hidden inside ceiling perimeter bulkheads.

Attachment:
2ECAB0F3-636D-4641-97F0-15780D32C77B.jpeg

Attachment:
41F89268-2334-4980-A5FF-FF3AC2B50535.jpeg

Attachment:
CC5AEE3D-ABA9-4446-927A-B5477588FF19.jpeg

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:12 pm 

Concrete tomorrow :D
Attachment:
4599C07D-AFF1-4132-A0CB-807D197F58EA.jpeg

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:00 pm 

Sneak peak at progress so far...

Attachment:
60B65F0B-826C-437B-B651-F427B67BCCB2.jpeg

Everything is going smoothly so far except for one thing. See that cladding on the left side of the building? That’s 6mm bracing plywood attached to the inside of the outer walls. This would result in a 3-leaf wall if it was left in place, so it will all be ripped down. It’s due to a silly communication glitch between the engineer and the builders. Lucky I spotted it before they covered the entire building.

For a bit of fun I’m incentivising the builders with a “Beer Bonus”. The better the soundproofing result, the more beer they get at the end.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:49 pm 

Wild winter weather has brought construction to a virtual standstill over the last month, but at least the roof is on. The ground got so soggy that we had to lay a temporary gravel driveway (over 50m long) so that vehicles could bring supplies to the site without getting bogged: $3,000.

Attachment:
568F0387-887E-4415-B627-33223D3D8B8C.jpeg

Attachment:
B66E3693-1C2F-4B4F-94E4-A172BAC1C571.jpeg

Attachment:
8AE5F3C9-A719-4504-A808-D55ED55B018F.jpeg

Report this post