John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Messy Green Glue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:30 am 

Good day, we have installed the second layer of 5/8” Sheetrock with Quiet Glue Pro between the two sheets. My question is, has anyone found a way to 1). Keep it from leaking all over the place? 2). Will taping and muddling stop further leaking or will it continue to leak out of the seams? And yes, we are also using Green Glue Sealant as well.

Please help.

Thank you...

Jjo

Ceiling Height 9' slopes to 13'
Ceramic Tile Floors
Concrete Walls
Treated with (6) OC703 Panels

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Messy Green Glue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:31 am 

Quote:
with Quiet Glue Pro between the two sheets. My question is, has anyone found a way to 1). Keep it from leaking all over the place?

Unfortunately, that's one of the major complaints with Quiet Glue Pro, and the reason why I do not recommend it. Real Green Glue is much less of a problem. It's still messy to apply, but it doesn't leak, run, and drip like Quiet Glue Pro does. From what I've heard, there's nothing you can do for now. You'll just have to let it run and drip for several weeks, until all of that excess has dripped out, then you can do the mud & tape, and the finishing.

You might find this video interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtxduYYXoVY It's a comparison of several products in a home studio build, including proper Green Glue, and also Quite Glue. They also compare other stuff that has no business at all being in there in the first place, but whatever... and their conclusions are somewhat dubious too.... but you'll see they had the same issue with Quiet Glue as you are having. It runs, and runs, and carries on running.

Closer to home, Frank used that stuff for part of his build, and ended up getting a refund plus US$ 5000 in damages from the supplier. It was a different situation, but he also had the same problem: The stuff just ran and dripped.

It might work fine, acoustically, but if half of it ends up running out of your wall and puddling on the floor, the final outcome is likely not so good either.

I wish I had better news for you, but it's not a good product, and this is a known problem with it.

Quote:
Will taping and muddling stop further leaking or will it continue to leak out of the seams?
It will continue leaking. As long as gravity exists, it will continue to flow down inside your walls, until the layer is thin enough that capillary action keeps it in place, or it is fully cured. Supposedly, according to the manufacturer, it takes 30 days to cure, but I've also hear that's a little optimistic. Give it six weeks, then see how it is going. If it has stopped flowing, then you should be good for mud and tape.

Quote:
And yes, we are also using Green Glue Sealant as well.
Be careful with that too! Their sealant is not as good as their flagship Green Glue compound, which is great. However, their GG sealant tends to shrink and crack as it cures, especially if you had to apply thicker layers in places, so you might have to go over all the places you used that, to check for visible shrinkage/cracking, and apply another thin layer on top if you find that.

This issue isn't as serious as the Quiet Glue fiasco, but it's still a problem, and a reason why I don't recommend GG sealant anymore. I do recommend GG compound, but not their sealant.

Once again, I wish there was better news for you... but that's reality. At least you can fix the GG sealant issues fairly easily. The Quit Glue issue can't be fixed without some major surgery...

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:23 am 

Soundman2020 wrote:
Quote:
with Quiet Glue Pro between the two sheets. My question is, has anyone found a way to 1). Keep it from leaking all over the place?

Unfortunately, that's one of the major complaints with Quiet Glue Pro, and the reason why I do not recommend it. Real Green Glue is much less of a problem. It's still messy to apply, but it doesn't leak, run, and drip like Quiet Glue Pro does. From what I've heard, there's nothing you can do for now. You'll just have to let it run and drip for several weeks, until all of that excess has dripped out, then you can do the mud & tape, and the finishing.

You might find this video interesting: It's a comparison of several products in a home studio build, including proper Green Glue, and also Quite Glue. They also compare other stuff that has no business at all being in there in the first place, but whatever... and their conclusions are somewhat dubious too.... but you'll see they had the same issue with Quiet Glue as you are having. It runs, and runs, and carries on running.

Closer to home, Frank used that stuff for part of his build, and ended up getting a refund plus US$ 5000 in damages from the supplier. It was a different situation, but he also had the same problem: The stuff just ran and dripped.

It might work fine, acoustically, but if half of it ends up running out of your wall and puddling on the floor, the final outcome is likely not so good either.

I wish I had better news for you, but it's not a good product, and this is a known problem with it.

Quote:
Will taping and muddling stop further leaking or will it continue to leak out of the seams?
It will continue leaking. As long as gravity exists, it will continue to flow down inside your walls, until the layer is thin enough that capillary action keeps it in place, or it is fully cured. Supposedly, according to the manufacturer, it takes 30 days to cure, but I've also hear that's a little optimistic. Give it six weeks, then see how it is going. If it has stopped flowing, then you should be good for mud and tape.

Quote:
And yes, we are also using Green Glue Sealant as well.
Be careful with that too! Their sealant is not as good as their flagship Green Glue compound, which is great. However, their GG sealant tends to shrink and crack as it cures, especially if you had to apply thicker layers in places, so you might have to go over all the places you used that, to check for visible shrinkage/cracking, and apply another thin layer on top if you find that.

This issue isn't as serious as the Quiet Glue fiasco, but it's still a problem, and a reason why I don't recommend GG sealant anymore. I do recommend GG compound, but not their sealant.

Once again, I wish there was better news for you... but that's reality. At least you can fix the GG sealant issues fairly easily. The Quit Glue issue can't be fixed without some major surgery...

- Stuart -

Wow! Very disappointing...thank you for the feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Ceramic Tile Floors
Concrete Walls

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:21 am 

Sorry, I forgot the link to the video! I edited the post to insert that, but here it is again so you don't have to go hunting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtxduYYXoVY Skip to around 18:20 for the drippy aftermath of the Quiet Glue...

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:04 pm 

This really really sucks. And is going to push my “Assisted Project” behind for weeks now.
We are reiceving help from a restoration organization that came to assist us after we lost almost everything from Hurricanes IRMA and MARIA....

We aren’t their only project, and they were slated to be finished by Christmas...
Quiet Glue was recommended by the company ATS Acoustics. I had never seen anything online about the leaking issues. Profoundly disappointed.

Ceramic Tile Floors
Concrete Walls

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:41 pm 

Soundman2020 wrote:
Sory I forgot the link to the video! I edited the post to insert that, but here it is again so you don't have to go hunting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtxduYYXoVY Skip to around 18:20 for the drippy aftermath of the Quiet Glue...

- Stuart -

Do you have any recommendations on proceeding other than waiting six weeks for the stuff to stop dripping? The organization assisting me won’t be around that long. Are there not any other reasonable solutions?

Ever Hopeful
Jjo

Ceramic Tile Floors
Concrete Walls

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:29 pm 

I'm really not aware of anything else you can do that is guaranteed to work, apart from taking down the drywall and starting again, and I'm guessing that is not an option!

That said, I have heard of once case where somebody was able to seal all the joints and edges with hot-melt glue, and that stopped the leaks. They tried with caulk first, and that didn't work, but the hot glue did. They cleaned out all the joints and gaps as best they could, then pumped in as much hot glue as they could fit, within reason. I have not tried it myself, so I can't vouch for it, but if you have no other choice, it might be worth a try. If you do that, and there's no further bleeding through after a few days, then it is probably safe to mud & tape. However, I can't promise you that the leaks won't re-appear.

I would also suggest that you contact Frank, to see how he managed with his legal situation against the manufacturer or distributor. As far as I know he got an out-of-court settlement that covered the cost of damages the product caused to his build, but I don't know the details. I also recall that his situation was different, because the "use by" date had expired before he even bought it. I think that's what it was. But talk to him: he might be able to orient you on that, if you want try that path.

One other suggestion I'd make: Before you order any more questionable materials, check with the forum first! We might be able to help you avoid future disappointments like this.

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 pm 

Hi Jjo,

Stuart asked if I could chime in hear as I've a had an experience like yours. This happened to me a few years ago when I was still working on the outer walls of my project...Here are some pics...This stuff has a 2 year shelf I think. I had bought mine in 2015, so it was expired as you can see by the photo. I Demanded compensation for the damage and a replacement of the product which the manufacturer honored. The second round of product failed as well. I used it on a set on ceiling panels which worked, thank god! Then a heat wave hit and temperatures reached into the 90's. After that the second batch started failing as well. I made them take it back and never looked back!

I'm afraid short of Stuart's hot glue idea, your going to have to tear out the affected areas as this stuff will never stop leaking, and as you can see from photos. It went on for months till I got around to removing the affected drywall completely. it managed to seep through caulking as well. The puddles just kept forming and they got massive...I feel your pain and wish I had better news.I would recommend that you contact whoever sold this product and pursue the same course of action I did. Threaten to sue them!!! This problem is no joke and certainly no fault of yours. This stuff straight up sucks!

Good luck....
Frank

Attachment:
20150716_095839.jpg

Attachment:
20150716_095846.jpg

Attachment:
20150716_103131.jpg

Attachment:
20150716_100010.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:49 pm 

Stadank0 wrote:
Hi Jjo,

Stuart asked if I could chime in hear as I've a had an experience like yours. This happened to me a few years ago when I was still working on the outer walls of my project...Here are some pics...This stuff has a 2 year shelf I think. I had bought mine in 2015, so it was expired as you can see by the photo. I Demanded compensation for the damage and a replacement of the product which the manufacturer honored. The second round of product failed as well. I used it on a set on ceiling panels which worked, thank god! Then a heat wave hit and temperatures reached into the 90's. After that the second batch started failing as well. I made them take it back and never looked back!

I'm afraid short of Stuart's hot glue idea, your going to have to tear out the affected areas as this stuff will never stop leaking, and as you can see from photos. It went on for months till I got around to removing the affected drywall completely. it managed to seep through caulking as well. The puddles just kept forming and they got massive...I feel your pain and wish I had better news.I would recommend that you contact whoever sold this product and pursue the same course of action I did. Threaten to sue them!!! This problem is no joke and certainly no fault of yours. This stuff straight up sucks!

Good luck....
Frank

Attachment:
20150716_095839.jpg

Attachment:
20150716_095846.jpg

Attachment:
20150716_103131.jpg

Attachment:
20150716_100010.jpg

Thank you for responding, this is an atrocious dilemma !

Ceramic Tile Floors
Concrete Walls

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:57 pm 

Soundman2020 wrote:

One other suggestion I'd make: Before you order any more questionable materials, check with the forum first! We might be able to help you avoid future disappointments like this.

- Stuart -

Agreed, and this is usually a practice of mines...because the whole GG thing such a common practice I didn’t even think of the need to do this. Lesson learned! :shock:

Ceramic Tile Floors
Concrete Walls

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:03 am 

Quote:
because the whole GG thing such a common practice I didn’t even think of the need to do this. Lesson learned!
:thu:

It is indeed unfortunate that some companies with inferior products try to ride on the coat tails of the market leaders, as in this case. Quite Glue is not Green Glue! You'd expect that the "second best" option would be almost as good as the top dog, but that's not always the case... and certainly not here, as you and Frank learned! For Constrained Layer Damping, Green Glue Compound is the only product I'm aware of that works as advertised, and has no major drawbacks (except cost!).

And here too, just because a company makes one really great product, does not mean that all of their products are great! Behringer, for example, makes about three products that I actually use and recommend personally.... but they also make many hundreds of products that I wouldn't touch even if you paid me! :) Green Glue compound is great: Green Glue sealant: not so much. Fortunately, the issue here is not that it doesn't work: it does. The problem is that if you apply it a bit too thick, it shrinks and cracks. That can be fixed by applying a second layer on top of the cracked area, without too much hassle, and you'll see the issue within a day or so, so it's not something that will only turn up months later. But it's still a pain, and you'd expect that a leading company with a good reputation for one product would do something to fix one of their other products that is dragging down their name... Maybe one day they will.

Anyway, give the hot-glue solution a try on a small area (a couple of panels of drywall), to see if it works for you, and if so then do it in the rest as well.

- Stuart -

Report this post