John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Soffit mounting?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:38 am 

John,

I know this has probably been discussed to death elsewhere, but I want your opinion for an Acoustics FAQ I'm preparing.

Years ago when I built a pro studio, our acoustic consultants were clear that soffit mounting was preferred. It certainly makes sense to me, to minimize the nearby reflections that cause comb filtering and similar artifacts that occur at low frequencies. But I have seen photos of a lot of rooms where the loudspeakers (sorry, monitors) are just standing in the room.

So what do you think? Have you any experience with a room that had one type of mounting and then changed to the other? Are there any scientific reasons why soffit mounting is not better?

--Ethan

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Well as you know I always recommend soffit mounting Why? because I've heard it work so many times. I've had clients who know their speakers really well and when they hear them soffit mounted they look at me with amazement!! "what these are the same speakers??" Ive done it with all kinds and had only one that didn't work - a set of JBLs that had so much low end boost already built in they became woofy. The client replaced them with another model of JBL and they were great.

As a mix engineer I find a good set of powerful soffit mounted speakers act like a magnifying glass. You can blow up the kick and bass and hear how they blend. The imaging is always truer also (more than nearfields). When mixing I often turn them up and go and make a coffee whilst listening to the bottom end. Much more is revealed and you know that when some DJ turns it up at the club the low end will be tight and true.

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:38 am 

John,

> I always recommend soffit mounting <

Yes, I agree that the explanations in favor of soffit mounting make sense. I don't know why some people say otherwise, but your opinion matters a lot to me.

Thanks.

--Ethan

Report this post

Post subject: ? newbie m?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:01 am 
What is soffit mounting? :(
Thanx

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:54 am 
Site Admin

Ethan - who exactly says otherwise?? The only major studios that I've seen that Don't soffit mount are the mastering suites and they use different speakers like Duntecs etc. and whilst we (mix engineers) are worring about the trees, they are more concerned with the forest. :)

DBX160 - soffit mounting is where you install the speakers in the wall so the front of the speakers is flush to the wall. It eliminates the speaker radiating in 360 degrees in the low frequencies. It looks like this:

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:42 am 
I gues this would not be a good idea for my active Mackies though?
:?

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:34 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure about you Mackies Myke - they sound really big in the low end so I suspect thay have a low end boost in the works. But I'm not sure what adjustment they have on the rear to compensate the low end.

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:03 am 

The Mackies have bass compensation controls for Full (open room), Half (against a wall), and Quarter (in corner). The corner is the biggest roll-off of low end as it assumes the bass boost of a corner placement.

Don't know how it would translate to soffit mounting though.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:04 am 
Site Admin

If that's the case I'd give it a go. When we were building Left Bank Studios we were waiting for the Genelecs to arrive but being the impatient bugger I am I had to try something so we put the Event 20/20bas speakers up into the cavity. They sounded fantastic, (some felt better than the genelecs ;) ) so I'd give it a go.

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Oliver - I moved your post to the Speaker forum for Barefoot to answer your question. Hope you don't mind ;) They sure seem to get good reviews.

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:10 am 

Yeah, I've been thinking about soffit mounting and two points occur to me regarding actives (ie Dynaudio BM15a's)

The plans for installing soffit mounts on the SAE site say the box should be almost airtight. Wouldn't this make the monitors overheat from the heatsinks on the bacK?

As the monitor would be set into the wall you wouldn't be able to turn them on or off. Could you leave them on or could you turn them on and of from the mains lead in the wall?

Thanks!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:57 am 
Site Admin

oliver - I wrote the SAE stuff back in '98. :P
You can still soffit mount if you allow air passage behind the speaker like this.

cheers
john

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:43 pm 

I see.

What about powering up the monitors. Is it safe to do this remotely from the wall outlet?

Does the 60 degree monitoring system still apply if so does one just hang as many acoustic hangars underneath as space allows?

Many thanks

Oliver

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:55 am 
Site Admin

I don't see a problem powering up from the mains switch. Perhaps you should check with barefoot in the speaker forum.

60 degrees is the standard angle, but I have used 90 degrees with equal success. Yes the hanger numbers are determined by the size of the cavity.

Have you managed to post a drawing of your room. If you can't do it send me the dimensions and I can draw and post it for you ;)

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject: Hmmm
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:47 am 

Sorry to Jump in here but John when you say 90 degrees are you implying a set up like this?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next