John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:01 am 

Hello,

We have happily opened our 2nd office in Berlin, Germany. We have also recently rented a room to put our project studio.

We will record electronic music of all styles including various dance genres so we will sometimes have loud kickdrums.

The room is in a office complex and we are on the 3rd floor that has 2 other music studios on it.

The landlord rented the room to us knowing our intentions. The deal is we can make music and if we bother other people we have to add our own Soundproofing.

Allthough not professionally soundproofed by any means they did use 2x drywall and "another material" to help with cutting down sound. (I couldnt understand his German unfortunately).

On the left of us is a well known electronic band from the 1980s. They have already soundproofed there room professionally. When in my room with there music loud we can not hear them at all.

To the right of us is a company that does voice-overs. They have not added any further soundproofing. I doubt we will hear them as they are only using NS10Ms but my worry is they will hear us.

Please take a look at the "blueprint" and photos of the room here:
http://www.thingstocome.com/news/Project_Studio.shtml

There are several questions we are trying to figure out:

1. The front door of our room is not secure (thin wood) and it's definetly not sound-proof at all. As you can see in the layout below there is a small hallway before you get into the main room. I was thinking about putting a thick wall in that hallway and a secure heavy door. I think that will help a lot. What do you think? What is the best way to do this? Any recommendations about doors?

2. The room has a fake wood "Parkett" floor. Should I be considering carpeting the entire thing? I like the look and I see some studios do not have carpeting. What do you think?

3. What do you recommend I do about the window? Large heavy drapes? Are there any brands or materials you recommend?

4. Where do you think I should have the main desk and speakers? Which wall?

I am very aware of the limitations of inproper sound-proofing. I did get a few estimates on what it would cost to have a room-in-room built. With a A/C unit and the in the room "box" from a professional dealer it was about 8000 euros. It could be doable with monthly payments but Im not conviced I need this or if its the best option.

I know your advice is free and it takes time to answer so a big thank you!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:53 pm 

1. The front door of our room is not secure (thin wood) and it's definetly not sound-proof at all. As you can see in the layout below there is a small hallway before you get into the main room. I was thinking about putting a thick wall in that hallway and a secure heavy door. I think that will help a lot. What do you think? What is the best way to do this? Any recommendations about doors?

I think that will be necessary; as to HOW to do it, that depends on a LOT of things, mainly concerned with what is there NOW. We would need enough details so that we could actually BUILD this place just like it is before we'd be sure to tell you good information, so you need to find out more about the exact construction first.

2. The room has a fake wood "Parkett" floor. Should I be considering carpeting the entire thing? I like the look and I see some studios do not have carpeting. What do you think?

Better to stay with the wood; you will likely only want ONE dead surface, and squishy floors aren't easy to walk on - have you read through any of the threads in the Acoustics forums? We talk about this very thing every day.

3. What do you recommend I do about the window? Large heavy drapes? Are there any brands or materials you recommend?

Drapes will help very little; only to muffle a few high frequencies. Do a search on m-a-m, mass-air-mass to see what's necessary for soundproofing.

In a smaller room, you'd need to have the speakers on the short wall that does NOT have much irregularity; this pretty much limits you to putting the speakers on the wall with the window. You'll need a fair amount of absorption behind the speakers (in front of the window), at first reflection points on the side walls, at the rear of the room, and overhead in order to get a tight, accurate sound.

If you can get your soundproofed neighbors to talk about how they did their walls, you may be able to duplicate that ONLY on the OTHER walls - adding more leaves to an already good wall will WEAKEN it.

For more, try searching on several of the key words I've used here - change the "display results as" to "Posts" instead of "topics", and try "search for all keywords" in order to limit the number of results... Steve

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:15 pm 

<B>Hello Knightfly,

Thank you for your response!
</b>
"I think that will be necessary; as to HOW to do it, that depends on a LOT of things, mainly concerned with what is there NOW. We would need enough details so that we could actually BUILD this place just like it is before we'd be sure to tell you good information, so you need to find out more about the exact construction first. "
<b>
Im not sure I know exactly what info your looking for. Do you mean what is in the walls now? I dont know... they are painted and finished... not sure how to tell. I was assuming with a carpenter I would put up a wall (where the red bar is in the picture) and a door... and that wall would be thick and either a 2x door or thick door. Like I said... I dont know how to do this and I will work with the carpenter making suggestions from what Ive read. Ive been creating a list of what people have mentioned here and there and in some books, etc... Of course if you have any recommendations please tell.
</b>
About the floors..."Better to stay with the wood; you will likely only want ONE dead surface, and squishy floors aren't easy to walk on - have you read through any of the threads in the Acoustics forums? We talk about this very thing every day. "
<b>
Yes good... I want to keep the floor like it is anyway.
</b>

Window...
"Drapes will help very little; only to muffle a few high frequencies. Do a search on m-a-m, mass-air-mass to see what's necessary for soundproofing."
<b>
Yes this is the tough call because I want a window and air yet I do know its a sound leak. At least the windows are very good quality. I think I will move into the room after the wall is built, make some sound and go from there as far as the window is concerned.
</b>
"In a smaller room, you'd need to have the speakers on the short wall that does NOT have much irregularity; this pretty much limits you to putting the speakers on the wall with the window. You'll need a fair amount of absorption behind the speakers (in front of the window), at first reflection points on the side walls, at the rear of the room, and overhead in order to get a tight, accurate sound."
<b>
Interesting... other people have told me to put them on the right wall... aka the shortest distance between the 2 walls... hmmm.
</b>

"If you can get your soundproofed neighbors to talk about how they did their walls, you may be able to duplicate that ONLY on the OTHER walls - adding more leaves to an already good wall will WEAKEN it."
<b>
I didnt know adding more soundproofing to a wall would weaken it...

Thanks so much... Im listening.

Report this post