John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:25 am 

Aloha,

More progress on the cloud unit. :D

- mounting eyehooks installed
- recessed lighting wired up

Lessons Learned: Romex cable somewhat difficult to work with :x (hard to manuever in tight places, wires sharp when trimmed to length! Argh!)

Aloha 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by kendale on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:32 am 

Aloha,

More progress! :D

- small panel covered and trimmed

The cloth weave is the same stuff used on the front absorber, but the lighting angle made it show up kinda weird. :roll:

Aloha 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:42 pm 

Very Mint
JG

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:37 am 

Aloha,

Mahalo, John. I appreciate the encouragement. :)

Here's a few pics of the insulation process. The two small side panels have been covered and gives a basic idea of what it should look like when it's done.

Note: It's a good idea to have some kind of backing grid support, whether it be string, wire or wood slats; something to keep everything from falling out as the unit is moved around and the cloth applied. :wink:

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:05 pm 

Kendale,

Just wanted to say hi and nice job. I've visited this thread many times now. I really like the look of your room so far and how you've intergrated your racks and existing furniture into the room and the wall unit :P even though I think you've got the slot resonators temporaily placed on racks. And I'm really impressed with your cloud, I've checking back every day wondering when your going to left the thing in place. Be safe and good luck. Looking forward to seeing pics of the installed cloud.

Marc

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:45 pm 

Aloha Marc,

Thanks for the kind words. I am thankful that the thread has been helpful to others, as I have been helped by those that have gone before me.

Quote:
I think you've got the slot resonators temporaily placed on racks.

I'm afraid the side absorbers are going to "live" there. This was part of the original plan, partially due to the limited space available, as well as needing access to the equipment in the rack. The two sections makes them, ahem, somewhat "portable" in the event Mrs Kendale asks me to "store them away" for the benefit of dinner guests or something of that nature (also part of the original agreement. :wink: )

Quote:
And I'm really impressed with your cloud, I've checking back every day wondering when your going to left the thing in place.

Thanks. Its turning out better than I had hoped, especially not having done any of this before.

As far as when it goes up? I am waiting on the Guilford of Maine cloth order to go in, a contractor friend to come by and help me locate and install the eyehooks in the trusses, and some last minute braces and rechecking the wiring.

In the meantime, I am looking at building the rear absorbers next.

Aloha 8)

Last edited by kendale on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:10 am 

So far, this seems like one of those post that is a "Sticky-How-to"...Keep it going Kendale...GREAT work...I'll be watching till' the end!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:49 am 

Aloha Stan,

Hey, thanks. :wink: Wish I could "keep it going" a little faster at the moment, as I'm trying to save up enough $$$ for the G of M cloth order so we can get the cloud up and running. It's amazing how all of the little bits of expenses here and there add up so quickly (not to mention a few extras like food :shock: , gas and what not.)

Say, did my response to your PM help or did I misunderstand your question? If not, let me know and I'll search the "library files" again. :wink:

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:37 pm 

I echo Mark's comments. Your woodworking skills on that thing are exceptional! I can only hope to aspire to that level of craftsmanship when I get to that stage of my project.

Keep up the great work (and the great pictures!)

Andy

http://www.andreweade.com

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:23 pm 

Aloha Andy,

Hey, thanks for the encouragement and for dropping in.

I am hoping that the install is as clean, as well as the wiring/dimmer works properly, and that the final lighting effect is what I am hoping for, not to mention that it acoustically functions the way it's supposed to. :wink:

I'll post more pics as soon as I get a little more progress made.

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:26 am 

Cam, I agree; this thread is now linked in the REFERENCE section under "more useful links" - thanks for all your sharing Kendale, I know a lot of members have been helped along by your efforts... Steve

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:12 am 

Aloha and Mahalo, Steve :D

Wow....thanks for the honor of being stickied! :shock: :oops: :D I was a little worried that all those pics might look like I "just padding my post count." :wink:

Seriously though, the thanks should go to you, Steve, John, Aaron, Peter and everyone else who has shared their time, knowledge, resources and experience with the rest of us who wanted to fulfill the dream of having a smoother functioning, better sounding studio environment to work in. It's been a 30 year wait for me, maybe even longer for others, and it is so satisfying/gratifiying to be able to realize that goal.........................finally.

Aloha 8)

Last edited by kendale on Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:16 am 

Gawrsh, I'm gettin' all gooey inside..............

OK that's over, back to the floggings :twisted:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:20 am 

Aloha,

Just giving credit where credit's due. So, would you like one lump or two? :wink:

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:51 am 

Aloha,

Hmm, thinking out loud here...after reading John Gardner's post: http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 9369#39369 about stuff not lining up, I'm starting to wonder about putting in a couple more mounting blocks in the cloud frame to better my chances of a centered installation.

Gentlemen, your thoughts perhaps?

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next