John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Panels from 2" foam
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:45 am 

Hi all, I've been lurking here for a while, and I have learned a great deal. I finally have a question for which I haven't found an answer...

I took down my old basement studio earlier this year, and wound up with a large amount of 2" foam. I am moving into a new basement and want to reuse the foam, but prefer the more finished look of cloth covered panels.

So my question: if I build a 4" panel and then put 2 sheets of 2" foam in there will that be roughly as effective as 4" foam?

I have lots of foam left, so I could build several 6" or 8" panels as well. Is there any advantage to that?

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:40 am 

This depends partially on WHAT foam you have; can you be more specific? Generally though, if you go thick enough (maybe 3 times) with better foams, you can equal the absorption of mineral wool or rigid fiberglass... Steve

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:30 pm 

Steve -

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have 36 (+/-) sheets of 2" whisper wedge (link)
I also have 24 (+/-) sheets of 2" Sonex
I also have 8 pieces of foam bass traps (link), but I have no idea what to do with them (I plan on using RealTraps or similar for bass trapping in the rooms)

I am mainly planning on using this foam to treat first reflection points in the control room, and to control flutter in the iso room, not for serious bass trapping.

FWIW, my control room is sort of 16'x16' with a 10' ceiling with a 18" drop with 2" sonex ceiling tiles to act as a membrane for bass trapping. The room is based on a design by Steven Klein (Similar Room Design).

My iso room is 12'x10' with the same ceiling as the control room. The bigger recording space is 22'x14' but won't be finished until next spring.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:07 pm 

You can use the 2" stuff doubled at first reflection points, same for flutter control if necessary; the corner wedges I'd use for a backrest pillow when watching TV, and either go with Mondo's for corners or DIY "superchunks" for your corners. Check out the sticky in this forum for some DIY treatment ideas if you want a really cool "cloud" (Kendale)

I'd seen some of Steven Klein's ideas I didn't agree with, but didn't know he was building SQUARE rooms :roll: :wink: Steve

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:32 pm 

Thanks!

I've read all of the stickies in the forum, and I'll probably wind up doing a fair bit of DIY as I go.

Steven's design has 5 walls, so it's not exactally a square, but the two long walls are 16'. Once I'm in and have the treatments in, I'll be sure to take some measurements of the room and post pictures. I know the design goes against the design philosophies here, so I would assume you all would be interested in the results.

I have one more question on doubling up the foam. The foam "nests" so should I nest it, or stack it?

In the attached picture the stack is on the left, the "nest" is on the right.

Again, thanks for the help.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:42 am 

Oddly enough Steve was kind enough to reply to a similiar question I had on another forum just yesterday. Thanks Steve!

Default to the experts for the real answer but it seems that to my ears it's doing a better job when "nested" as you put it.

He suggested I take 1 x 6's to make a framework and let the foam fill the front with an airgap behind it. So that's what I'm doing.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:58 am 

Teflon, aka "H", welcome; I'm not sure there would be much audible difference either way (especially if standing the foam off the wall as discussed), I think I'd base that decision on whether I LIKED the sculptured foam look or not - but if covering with cloth, then nested makes the most sense... Steve

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:44 pm 

Gotcha. I'm going to cover mine with fabric but that's an aesthetic decision. My walls are "realtor beige", the trim is white, and there's a lot of dark gray foam about. I need some COLOR baby COLOR! :D

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:15 am 

Thanks guys.

I guess it's time to get to the Home Depot! :D

Report this post