John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Soffit mount My speakers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:37 am 

I have a set of Yorkville YS-1 monitors, would I benifit from soffit mounting them?

Thanks
Harper

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:51 am 

Yup...

Report this post

Post subject: Flush vs. Soffit
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:52 am 

I think Soffit mounting can cause some problems if you do no treat the cavity below them properly.

I think that "Flush" mounting is more effective. Especially if you have a chance to build a massive front wall.

The true "Soffit" mount speaker that I have seen have been mounted over a tape/machine closet or the like. This was a '70's think to do. This caused the closet itself to resonate and the speakers where usually high up and at a bad angle leading to crappy hi freq. imaging and low end bleed into the closets or soffits below causing them to resonate.

I think making the wall as solid and huge/heavy as possible, lotsa wood, lotsa heavy dense mineral fibre and sheetrock and then mounting the speakers flush in heavy boxes at the optimum angles is the way to go... in my experience anyways. The less cavities the better.

cheers,
ollie

[SPAM SIGNATURE REMOVED BY MODERATOR.]

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:12 am 

Which would be best for soffit mounting?

Alesis M1 passive
Behringer B2031 passive
Event Alp 5 active

IF you have any other suggestions please tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

Joe

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:51 am 

strange thing that just hit my brain about soffit mounting......

What do you keep in mind when you also have an external subwoofer??

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:33 am 

Might seem like a dumb question, but what is flush mounting?

I'm doing a project at the mo which involves acoustically treating a theoretical studio space for use as a control room. I'm just about to start proposing how and where to put the monitors. I'm not sure I understand the advantages and disadvantages of the 60 degree/90 degree mounting either, could someone explain that?

The room is 7m long, by 4m wide by 3.5m high, if that helps.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Rosie wrote:
Might seem like a dumb question, but what is flush mounting?

I'm doing a project at the mo which involves acoustically treating a theoretical studio space for use as a control room. I'm just about to start proposing how and where to put the monitors. I'm not sure I understand the advantages and disadvantages of the 60 degree/90 degree mounting either, could someone explain that?

The room is 7m long, by 4m wide by 3.5m high, if that helps.

read this Rosie

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:08 am 

Ah thank you so much, that's excellent.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:21 am 

This thread is fascinating. John, maybe you can clarify that for me. Here in Montreal i've seen lots of studios design by a well know studio designer from Montreal. Most of his design involved soffit mounted monitors but the "box" or wall in wich they are soffited is only made of a simple wood frame filled with 703 with air space behind and cover with cloth, nothing is sealed, no hard surface. I've seen that numerous time around here, even in one prime Montreal Studio and even in CBC (Canadian broadcasting corp.). What's the deal ? I am not challenging your expertise, or testing you, i am just trying to understand.

Also my monitors are KRK E8t. These irregular shaped monitor have rounded edges and only have an high freq roll-off, the bass response of those monitor is simply amazing for it's size, not boomy or boxy just tight well ballanced low end. I've design my room in a way so i can choose not to soffit them, and i still can't decide. Doing all the challenging soffit work only to find out that it may not work, seems like it may not the best way to use my
time. I think i am going to not soffit for a start. What do think?

Technology is just faster ways to do things we didn't have to do before !

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:17 am 

bump

Technology is just faster ways to do things we didn't have to do before !

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Back in the early days to test a speaker they would bury it in the ground so the front face was level with the ground. They'd then hang a mike over it a measure the reponse.

the idea was to stop the rest of the cabinet radiations from interacting with the original speaker signal.

Soffit mounting does the same thing. It places a solid timber plane or baffle around the speaker so that any sound coming from the cabinet is absorbed behind the baffle and doesn't affect the direct sound.

Your bloke in Canada apparently doesn't know what he's doing.

Unfortunately many so called designers copy what they see. I remember seeing a studio where there was timber and cloth in the wall. I touched the cloth only to realise it was just straight cloth over plywood!! he'd seen studios with a cloth wall and had figured that was what it was when in fact the cloth is typically an openning to an absorption trap ;)

see attached pic for soffit detail.

cheers
john

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:04 pm 

I think some people have a hard time with the whole soffit idea and why it is benefitial.

For an exercise take a piece of paper and draw a strait line to represent a cutaway of the soffit baffle, then draw a speaker flush mounted. now take a ruler and see if you can draw a line reflecting of of the baffle from the speaker. Same principle for a boundary layer mic. You should be able now to visualize why the baffle is invisible to the speaker and therefore won't reflect any sound.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:29 am 

If you want to check the effect of soffiting just place some large pieces of cardboard at both sides of the speakers.

Soffiting not only prevents reflections, but also gives the mid lows a boost as they normally bend around the speaker cabinet causing a dip of a couple of dB's.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:27 am 

I know this post is a little old, but this picture still alludes me a bit. In the diagram you show an air cycle, how is this possible if there is an mdf or plywood front on the top? as well as a plywood based under the speaker, that protrudes to the wall as far as I can tell from other threads, pictures, and else. How can an airflow keep the speaker cool if the speaker is enclosed in a sealed mdf box? Perhaps I'm just misinterpreting the construction of the soffit, is there a good walk through of the construction process anywhere?

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:46 am 

Aloha,

There is a vent indicated at the top of the bezel to allow the heat to escape.

Aloha 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next