John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:13 am 

hi,

please take a look at my drawing - the width of the planned room here at the points where the monitor walls join the left & right walls is appr. 2,90 meters!

this leaves me with not very much "baffle space" to the left & right of my monitors: the longer (inner) side is appr. 60cm! i think i read here somewhere that it should be at least 1 meter - but i don´t know if this is meant to all sides - up, down, left & right?!?

would soffit mounting even make sense in this design/with these dimensions?

thomas, john, aynone?

thanks for any comments!

greetings!

fretless

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:41 pm 

Cant give you specifics as I dont know them. Thomas and Steve can get technical with you.

Here is my take, my studio has 16" of baffle on the inner side of the speakers and none on the outer.

I am awar that it can cause some problems, but my mixes trnslate darn near perfectly so.....I'll leave the rest up to you.

Here is a pic of my baffle.

hope that helps.

Bryan Giles

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:31 am 

There are two main issues you run into with a narrow baffle. One is that it creates more of a horn loading effect from the front and side walls. This boosts the bass response and may adversely affect your mixes. However, you would still have much of this problem even without the soffits. It's just the downside of smaller rooms. The second issue is that a narrow baffle yields a smaller reflection free zone. You can see in the picture below that you do have some first reflections at the listening position. I would suggest mounting some extra absorption on the side wall near the soffit intersection to reduce this problem.

Otherwise, I think your design looks great. You've made excellent use of your space!

Thomas

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post