John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:41 pm 

Hey guys, greetings from sunny Brisbane.

I'm currently in the research/planning stage of an upcoming build, I have a few questions and also looking for any advice/ideas.

The current plan is for a standalone room within my backyard tin/colourbond shed.
Primarily its main function will be for a drum/band practise room, though I am intending to move all my studio gear in and use it as a single room studio down the track.
After taking some levels at a recent rehearsal I was hitting around 120dBc with 125dB being the maximum.
Im hoping I can get around 70dB reduction from the room alone.

About the room and shed.

The shed is a 9m x 6m tin shed, on its own slab, about 20meters to the nearest neighbour.
It has a vaulted roof, with a height of 2.9m at the peak (2.7 at the bottom of the rafters), and the entire inside ceiling is outfitted with some form of 20mm thick high density foam panel I can only assume is used for heat insulation.
The room I am hoping on building will have outside dimensions of 4.5m x 4m and inside footprint of 4.1x3.6m or thereabouts, and as much height as possible.

My original plan was to build a fully standalone room within the shed, using a double stud wall design exactly as in the picture attached, though with green glue between the inner 2 layers of gyprock.

From inside to out walls will be consisting of-
10 & 13mm gyprock with greenglue between -> 75mm frame with earthwool insulation -> 25mm to 50mm airgap -> 75mm frame with earthwool insulation -> 10 & 13mm gyprock.
I was planning on either sealing them directly to the slab, or have them sitting on neoprene pads if neccersary and then sealing.

Thats about where my plan ends, I don't know how to make the ceiling work.
Now I have priced up and budgeted to use the same design and materials (minus green glue) for the ceiling, but I just don't know how to physically build it while still maintaining the isolation of the double frame, and also a safe and sturdy room.
Apart from not knowing how to do the outer leaf of the ceiling, I am also concerned about the existing insulation panels acting as a third leaf.

After using the MSM TL calculator I found on here, Im fairly confident the wall design will do what I need, but the ceiling really has me stumped.
I am basically just looking for suggestions and advice on how to achieve my goals.
Also my current budget is 5k, though there is a little bit of movement if needed.

Hopefully this all makes sense,
Thanks in advance.

Rory.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post